Wednesday, July 01, 2015

Biopsy and Donation



Last Wednesday I went in for my  endometrial biopsy and boy, that was fun! Okay, honestly I wouldn't wish this procedure on my worst enemy...not that I have any, but y'know what I mean...

Chris' friend Karolyn came with me so that I could have some help getting around and on and off the very high examination table. (What is with those tables? Why do they have be built for the height of giants?! All exam tables should be able to lower on some sort of...lift...thingy....)


The doc didn't really explain what was going to happen this time. He did have me skooch down further to the end of the table and readjust my feet so my legs could be a little wider. (They ALWAYS ask that I widen my hips more which is impossible to do when you're born with muscles that are tight.)


In went the speculum and I think whatever tool he used to retrieve the tissue lining samples. I felt a lot of pressure in my upper left stomach area. OOOOH boy did that hurt! I squeezed Karolyn's hand like I was dying. The poor girl's hand probably was white as a ghost from my own hand squeezing the living daylights out of hers! 


All I know is I just concentrated on breathing, staying still and praying to Jesus for strength to endure. 


It didn't last long. It was really over before I knew it. I remember thanking God with every fiber of my being that it was finally over. The doctor asked me to lay down for a few more minutes, in case I felt dizzy or faint. Honestly I felt fine. I'm a tough cookie and I have gone through worse than that! Still though I did what he asked. 


When I couldn't take anymore of this "lying there doing nothing" thing, I hopped on down (with Karolyn's help!) from the made-for-giants-exam table and took my naked butt over to a chair to get back dressed. 


It was as simple as that and really, even if it hurt like the dickens it only lasted 10 minutes at most -- not even! Meh... I can endure that for our babies...


The highlight of our visit was seeing the temporary administer. She's English and not only does she has this glorious accent, upbeat attitude, but she also knows British Sign Language! :D The two times I have seen her we have chatted back and forth figuring out the different signs in ASL and BSL. It's wonderful to touch base with someone who knows a little of our own language...even if it's a different "pronunciation" of the same language. Unfortunately she is not permanently located at this office branch, but was just filling in while the usual admin was on vacation. It was kind of her to wish us "Good luck". I shall miss my Sign Language buddy she has made my visits to the Fertility Clinic and true delight.... 

We will get the results back from the biopsy in another week. This link will give you an idea of what they're ruling out: http://www.webmd.com/women/endometrial-biopsy


I have also read elsewhere that one of the symptoms of PCOS is a thickening of the uterine lining. I do believe this is why I have an abnormal looking lining... I've gotten the feeling, from the doctors so far, that this is just a routine check and they're not overly concerned about cancer. I'm not worrying about it until I have to worry about it. (I got enough on my mind as it is!)


Last week was also an exciting Friday for Chris. He gave his sperm donation for freezing! 


We had meant to take some sexy photos of me for his....enjoyment while giving the sample but kinda ran out of time with all that we had to do in our job last week. 


So, instead, when Chris arrived at the clinic Friday morning he was led into a "donation room" reserved specifically for men needing to give a sample. There were dirty Playboy magazines there and a DVD player for him, but he had thought ahead. Chris used their free wifi service and brought up Facebook to look through our wedding photos.. 


My husband is a romantic! :)


He actually felt really comfortable in that room as he was told he could use the room for as long as he needed. Chris informed me later his most difficult moment was awkwardly trying to balance his phone on his knee to look at my photos while he was busy doing what he was there to do! We had a good giggle about that Friday evening!


I must tell you, I had a "miracle" moment with my husband and God. I was a little worried about how much sperm Chris might be able to donate as anyone, in that situation, may be nervous and stressed out. I prayed for my husband and visualized an intimate moment between the two of us, so I could be with him, in a sense, at the time of his donation. I felt 100% connected to Chris and Jesus......truly feeling like the Lord bridged that gap between us as I sat in my office at work and Chris sat in the donation room at the clinic. There was an intimate peacefulness that washed over me, and my worries and fears melted away. It was a such a blessing to know that God cared, even about this moment we were going through in our baby making process....


I am proud to say Chris donated four units of sperm!!! Yay! 


The doctor was quite pleased as well and we were told on Friday afternoon this week they will be unfreezing one of the units to see how "the boys" lived through their cold days in hypothermia. 


This is only the beginning of our journey with IVF and ICSI but I have never felt closer to God and my husband... The three of us will weather this storm together and no matter what the end results will be Chris and I will praise The Lord for His faithfulness, mercy and grace. 




2 comments:

  1. Hey Rosie, I have a suggestion that you may want to consider in prayer! Many people seek financial support through gofundme. I have seen people collect donations for recording in Nashville, reaching personal goals and dreams and supporting initiatives like Project Mercy. Just recently our very own M&N C posted the link to facebook to raise funds for their next album. It may be a way to allow others to bless you and Chris while reaching your God-given dreams. Many blessings, Chantale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chantale, It's a good suggestion but I don't know how comfortable Chris and I would feel about asking others to donate monetarily to our IVF/ICSI progress... Chris is a pretty proud guy and so am I. Hmmm... something to pray about I suppose... :)

    Love your support and friendship, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete