Friday, November 20, 2015

Round 2?

I started my cycle today. I mean it's sort of a medium going into heavy spotting. Tomorrow should be my first full flow day.

I was hesitant whether I should call the clinic today or tomorrow since today is a Friday and now we're going into the weekend. but I did call them and the nurse who answered returned my call reprimanded me for calling too soon. Boy, was I glad I did though!

Since we are now the 20th of November, we are very close to the date when the new law changes. (They're still guessing it'll be changing on the first but it could be anytime in December, really. No set date has been announced yet.) Because there is no set date for this stupid law change (my own personal opinion) as it stands, if my current cycle runs into December after the law change, they didn't know if I would be covered under the new law or if I would have to pay for all my treatment and then be reimbursed by the Ministry of Health once "approved" under the new law for our "one time at IVF".

*sigh* I thought I'd get in ONE FULL IVF try under the current law. That may not be the case.

So... they told me to come into to visit them, so I could be educated on how to take a new medication that has been issued to me with my next round of IVF. Luveris is another drug that helps follicles grow. I will be taking 300 units of Gonal-F at night and 150 units of Luveris at the same time. It comes in power form -- similar to the Cetrotide I take in the morning after I certain number of days of Gonal-F and Luveris.

After visiting the Fertility Clinic and having the nurse teach me how to prepare the medication for doses of Luveris, I came back to work without picking up any drugs. I was told to wait for a phone call, as my case was being discussed by the nurses, doctors and accounting department. 

Yes, I am a special case. I have always been a special case with doctors, but in this particular instance, I'm a special case because of my unique ability to fit into the "three tries at IVF" law just when it's about to change to "one try law". I get the feeling that I'm the only patient right now with Bilateral blocked fallopian tubes that's trying to have babies...

So after an afternoon of all of them debating  back and forth, crunching numbers and scrutinizing the law as they understand it thus to see how to make this work for me and our finances, they called me back at 3:20pm to say that I have a few options. 1) I can go ahead with IVF this round, and if I finish with all the drugs, ultrasounds, egg retrieval, ICSI and embryo transfer BEFORE the law changes (whenever that is) then, I'm still safe under the "three tries" law and I'll still have my "one chance" at IVF under the new law, if we need another chance at this thing 2) or if we start this round and the law changes half way through our IVF cycle but things are going well, they'll make sure I'm covered under the new law and the money for ICSI (Chris' procedure that we will have to pay under the current/old law) will be reimbursed to us as this ICSI is covered under the new law. Whether things go well or not with this chance, that will be our one shot at this. No other tries covered. 3) or we can begin this try at IVF, if half way through the law changes but we don't want to use our "one try" under the new law we can pay for the IVF procedure ourselves. Instead of paying $6,500 for it, they'll give us a discount at $5,000 and then we would still get our "one try" chance under the new law of this treatment is not successful.

Yes, this is a lot to take in. No, we don't have $5,000 squirrelled away and no I don't feel comfortable asking all my loved ones for money. 

*deep breath*

I'm praying for wisdom, but regardless we are going ahead and asking God to guide us along the way each day with every decision we will need to make on this journey.

More than likely tomorrow morning I will be calling the Fertility Clinic so I can head into their office for my ultrasound to get the "all clear" on not having any cysts in my uterus so we can continue with drug stim days. I will be picking up my three drugs, Gonal-F, Luveris and Cetrotide and we will begin round two tomorrow.

Pray for us if you get a chance, would ya? 

Chris and I are so beyond stressed right now, isn't not even funny.... So much going on at work......Things we are not talking about on social media and now this added pressure of making decisions because laws are changing.....This could very likely direct the future of our family. God is with us though and we much trust in The Lord and not lean on our understanding... Yes, Lord we are trusting in You; always You.

No comments:

Post a Comment